Top Tips To Keep Your Pets Away From Poisonous Items And Avoid Trips To Fitzgerald GA Veterinarians
Poison prevention in pets begins with the awareness that several items in your household and other premises can lead to accidental poisoning. Pet poisoning is one of the instances that require emergency veterinary care for timely therapeutic intervention. You may know some common items that can poison pets at home but there are others that may not be in your list. Sometimes pets tend to engage in activities they should not and at a time you least expect. This post outlines essential tips to help in keeping your pets safe from poison and prevent emergency trips to local Fitzgerald GA veterinarians.
Know Your Poisons
It is essential to note that your residence is full of items that are poisonous to pets. Alcohol, antifreeze, disinfectants, and cold medications are some of the things that can easily poison your cats and dogs. All products with phenol in their names are toxic to pets. We encourage you to keep such toxic products, food and medications stored in areas curious paws and noses will not reach. Always bring the pets to our veterinary clinic for emergency care in case of accidental poison ingestion.
Avoid Leaving Poisonous Items Unmanned
People usually have poisonous items in their houses as they are essential for general maintenance, cleaning and hobbies. Ensure you put the lids back on all containers when using chemicals and other toxic products even if it sounds inconveniencing. Securing such containers will reduce your chances of visiting animal clinics in Fitzgerald for emergency veterinary care due to pet poisoning.
Keep Your Pets Away from Rodents
Many dogs and cats have an insatiable drive that compels them to hunt for any rodent they come across. A random hunt for rodent may expose your pet to secondary kill if they eat a rodent that dies out of poison. Never let a pet run after or consume a rodent that behaves strangely as it may have ingested poison. Bring your pets to our facility for emergency care immediately you suspect it has interacted with a poisoned rodent.
Use Water to Rinse Surfaces after Cleaning
Several cleaning products are toxic to pets even if you dilute them before use. Pets that use surfaces or floors that you have recently cleaned using toxic detergents risk ingesting poison as they groom themselves. Also, pets may absorb the toxins from contaminated surfaces through paws and skin, which can lead to poisoning that necessitates a trip to Fitzgerald animal hospitals. We highly recommend thorough rinsing of the surfaces with water after cleaning to eliminate all toxins that may affect pets.